Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween in China

So! You think that Halloween is not observed in China? Well - guess again!

Yesterday, I made my weekly pilgrimage to Zhongshan City to eat sushi - yes, there are sushi restaurants in China - and what did I discover at the shopping mall? That’s right! Halloween decorations!

Just when I think that I have witnessed everything that makes China seem more western - clothes, KFC, McDonald’s, Pizza Hut, rap music - then another thing comes along - Halloween! Oh by the way, the past few days on TV, American horror movies! Last night was Resident Evil and Poltergeist.

Now I am beginning to wonder if I should buy some candy this afternoon. Just in case the little goblins or ghouls show up and start knock, knocking, knocking on my door. And who knows, if nobody shows up, maybe I will go “trick or treating” or maybe put a jack-o-lantern outside my door.

No comments: