Thursday, August 24, 2006

6 Months

I recently received news from the states that a former co-worker of mine has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The doctors have told him that it is terminal and he has 6 months to live. This has been in my thoughts constantly since I have heard the news. We worked together for almost 5 years, during this time we had a lot of fun, we also had our share of disagreements. Hearing this news makes the memory of the good times seem so important and the disagreements seem so trivial. My heart and prayers go out to him and his family and I can only hope and pray that the doctors are wrong. He is a man of strong determination, if anyone can prove the doctors wrong, it will be him.

Back in June I came across the following entry from a fellow blogger. For some unknown reason I chose to save it on my computer and I discovered it again today.

"What if you learned tomorrow that you had but six short months to live?

This is the perspective the psalmist prayed God would give him. He said, “Show me, O Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man’s life is but a breath” (Psalm 39:4-5).

Thus, contemplating life’s numbered days can and should be a positive experience. If you are so inclined, perhaps the following questions will be of some assistance. If you knew you only had six months to live…

How would you start each day?

What would be your first priority in each day?

What relationships would matter most to you?

What would you do just for fun?

What would you look for in others?

What fences would you mend?

With whom would you make peace?

Would you have apologies to offer?

To whom would you apologize?

For what would you apologize?

What bridges would you build?

Whom would you forgive?

What grudges would you release?

What books would you read?

What books would you read again?

Would you want to write anything?

What would you write?

Whom would you write?

How would you spend your time?

With whom would you spend your time?

How would you spend your money?

What unfinished business would you tend to?

What would you be more willing to give?

To whom would you give it?

To whom would you show a special measure of love?

Would you walk away from an argument?

Would you take time to walk hand-in-hand with loved ones?

What burdens would you no longer carry?

What words would you eliminate from your vocabulary?

What thoughts would you refuse to dwell on?

How would you end each day?"

No comments: